Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Accomplishments: Should We Define Our Everyday Life By It?

“What if we did not delineate our daily life by what we attained?”



This interrogative expression set me forth on a broader path of inquiringness along with introspection. What if our daily lives were not signified by how much we attained or the notches of achievement we proudly trace off before ending the night? What if we stopped concentrating so much on marking off each item on the must-do list? What if we overhaul our own individual meanings for the term “accomplishment”? How do we, distinctly and collectively, signify our daily lives? Does our definition mimic our genuine values? For me, life’s interpretation is not about what I bring out or do not conclude. It is about who I am, who others are, and our act in relationships with each other. For me, life is not about performing, but rather about being.



I waste much of my time clocked up with classes, studying, work, and completing the essential errands that reality demands. The act of “doing” cannot be extinguished, or should it be. It is not in the “doing” that we mislay our meaning and purpose, but when the “doing” converts more valuable than just “being”. I am aware that I am often culpable of defining my own daily life by what I have attained throughout the day. Collecting away those deeds of “accomplishment” or achievement, I would characterize my life in a way that much more nearly resembles the person that I am and the fundamental values that endure within my soul. I would define my life by the love I consign and receive, by gratitude for blessings and prayers for those in need; by a balance of dedication to self and others, moments of exhilaration and harmony, the treasures of elegance and yearning; In terms of smirks and laughter, squeezes and kisses, words and affections, through artistry and dreaming, encouragement and taking chances, embracing and unleashing, comprehending and believing.


At the end of our lives, does it really matter if the lawn was mowed every Saturday? If we set aside work on a treatise in account of an afternoon spent in the company of our loved ones and the simplicity of nature? Does it matter if we worked hours overtime or did the laundry get done after dinner? For me, these are absolutely not the things that matter in the end. At the completion of my life, what will matter is that I have comprehended the strength also brittleness of love, that I have brought a difference in my own life and in others. For me, defining my everyday life means that I must intentionally embrace it, for what is it valued at the end.



Image Source: File Magazine



THANKS FOR STOPPING BY XO...




No comments: